1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Free, Opensource cPanel Reseller Automated Backup Script

Hi,

I've developed a PHP script that enables cPanel reseller accounts to automatically backup the cPanel accounts within the reseller. A feature currently missing from cPanel itself.
    I've released it under the GPL GNU 3.0 or later license therefore offering it for free.

It takes all of 5 minutes to set-up, uses the official cPanel API's and enables the accounts to be backed up to either the homedir, remote FTP server or remote SCP server.
    Simply put it, this script can if properly configured stop you from ever losing your websites due to hacking, data corruption or from issues with your web host.

Check it out yourself at https://whmbackup.solutions.

If you have any comments, issues or feature proposals. Please let me know or log it on our Bitbucket Repository.
  3. No Profile Picture
    some internet guy

Nice work! Can you, in theory, use it to back up a server to a third party location and then change the credentials/server to a new server to restore?

I'm asking in the context of if it could be used to take backups and then, when it comes time to restore the backups, restore them to a new server. The idea being that this is when one might want to change servers, as something might be wrong with the main one.
    Sharktech DDOS Protected Dedicated Servers - available in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, and Amsterdam.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by zomgmike
    Nice work! Can you, in theory, use it to back up a server to a third party location and then change the credentials/server to a new server to restore?

I'm asking in the context of if it could be used to take backups and then, when it comes time to restore the backups, restore them to a new server. The idea being that this is when one might want to change servers, as something might be wrong with the main one.
    This is the exact purpose of the script. Taking backups and restoring to the same server is perfect if you have lost a few files BUT if your webhost goes offline the quickest way to get your website back up and running may be to take the latest backup and restore it on a new web host. As this script outputs official cPanel account backup files, the backup files can be imported by the new host and with only a few minor DNS alterations your website can be back up and running on a new web host as if nothing happened.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo