1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for new language to learn, or maybe sugestion of a program?

Hi. I started programming using mIRC, just playing with it's scripting part(Language implemented in the chat). It was really good and easy since i could create games only in written part and I could connect to a server and play it and test it with anyone that could simply install a mIRC.
    Afterwards i learned Java and got really interested in that except that it was really hard for me to create games online since i had to create sockets and all that.
    Now i just installed Linux hopping it would help me to learn more about programming. I was thinking about just playing around with some language but i would really like something i could maybe host a server online and connect to my own server to test the results of the program/game, so that maybe i could test it with different computers and etc.
    Anyone knows what kind of language would be most suitable to that need, and also what program would yall recomend for that kind of language?

Sorry if this is on the wrong section, i'm new in this forum.
  3. No Profile Picture

I am very fond of PHP. It can be run through a web server or you can run it through the php-cli (PHP Command Line Interface (? I think)).

I have written IRC bots that run on linux servers in PHP and are ran through a shell file and sent to php.exe!

It is a very versatile language.

My 2
  5. Contributing User

Throwing another $0.02 towards the PHP recommendation.

There are a lot of community support forums, online tutorials, and other helpful resources ... you wont be stuck in the cold shivering in your Ada t-shirt.
    Latery Matey
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I really appreciate the recommendation, and now that you mentioned i remember a friend that helped me to learn IRC scripting also talked a lot about php. Very interesting. I am about to start reading tutorials about it, but i have one more question only. You talked about the webserver. How would i be able to get a webserver? Do i pay for them and is like a online host 24/7?
    Thanks for the tip again.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Aiwa
    I really appreciate the recommendation, and now that you mentioned i remember a friend that helped me to learn IRC scripting also talked a lot about php. Very interesting. I am about to start reading tutorials about it, but i have one more question only. You talked about the webserver. How would i be able to get a webserver? Do i pay for them and is like a online host 24/7?
    Thanks for the tip again.
    You can pay for one (my web host is http://www.a2hosting.com ) or you can install your own web server (I use XAMPP for testing code locally, quick to setup ).

You should probably install your own if you are just going to be messing around.
  11. Contributing User

You can get Apache (webserver), MySQL (SQL database), and PHP for your local computer.
    Linux ... LAMP
    Mac ... MAMP
    Windows ... WAMP

This allows you to build/test projects at http://localhost (locally), and if you decide to publish it to the Internet later, well ... yeah ... THEN it will probably cost money for web hosting but certainly NOT the software (open source and 100% free).
    Latery Matey
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I appreciate a lot both helps.
    thanks

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo