1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Online shop platform

Greetings!

First of all sorry if I placed this topic in a wrong forum or if this question was asked in the past. I've been reading this forum for some time and I couldn't find any info to get a good answer to my problem.
    The thing is that I want to start a new business, in terms of creating an online fashion store.
    I tried Magento and Joomla with VirtueMart in the past and these platforms work good but now I want something more.
    I know programming and I'm used with platforms like these.

I very much like the puma.com portal. I plan to integrate more than just categories with products.

I think I saw all the magento, prestashop, zencart, virtuemart, opencart etc on themeforest and I just can't find anything that I like.

So... please!!! I call for your kindness and please give me some advices in terms of what platform to use, eventually a template that you think it suits best for my products categories.
    I want to sell woman clothes, men clothes, jewels, accessories, wrist watches, bags etc. All the products are imported in my country from Germany, UK and USA. There won't be products made in China. So I want to create an elegant image for my shop.

Also, if there are any other entrepreneurs that run the same kind of business, please PM me.

Thank you in advance! This is a very nice community you got together here.

Kind regards,
    Cata
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It would help a whole lot if you said what you don't like about those other platforms, and what you want to see in a different platform. Without that sort of information you're only going to get SPAM'ers in here trying to promote useless scripts and telling you that one of the ones that you've already tried is the best.
  5. No Profile Picture

Good point, Catacaustic. The thing is that I can't find any premium template for magento or prestashop or virtuemart that have the look and feel that I want.
    I don't have much of a budget allocated for the website. Themeforest's 80$ / magento template is all I can pay now for a template.

I want to build an website that have the look of puma.com
    Also, I find magento a little bit hard to work with. I got some bad reviews about prestashop too. Joomla+virtuemart I understood that is not so stable as they say. Although I worked a lot with joomla in the past and I can say that I'm able to customize it almost at the level of puma.com. I think that functionality + design and an elegant feel of the website, clean and professionally executed will give me an extra start point in selling my products. There are thousands of web stores that sell clothes but they don't have a business plan and a taste for fashion like my girlfriend have
    Please give me any kind of advice you would think I need in terms of technical problems that I might face in my path.

Thank you!
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Well, puma.com is built on Rails so you won't get the same thing in PHP. On top of that there's a very good chance that whatever they have is either a custom-built system for just them, or the base system has been highly modified to suit their purposes. Even if you could copy what they've got, that's just copying - why not make your own site with your own style?

Not wanting to sound mean, but if your budget doesn't stretch to $80 for a theme there's no way that you're going to get a site that has the same look/feel as that site - especially because all you're getting for that small amount is a template theme that is made for a wide range of situations, not for exactly your situation. If you want to do this your own way, you'll need to roll up your sleeves and get down to work. Sites like that normally have a a team working on them, so if it's just you that's going to be doing the work budget somewhere between 6 months to 4-5 years of work to get it the way you want it depending on just what you want to do and how much time you can spend on it each day. Unless you're going to pay someone else to do it for you, you have to do it all yourself.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

null nuke will do it all, with encoded cookies, and full customizable side blocks for each module page, etc

you can probably turn the gallery or download module into a shopping mall in a few days, with fully renamed functions etc

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nullnuke/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo