1. Confused badger
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Preview and 'screenshot' of AVI/MPEG files

Hello all
    I wonder if someone can help me, I have some MPEG and AVI files I'd like the visitors to my portal to be able to view through the webpage. I have no idea where to begin (apart from google) but I thought I'd ask here for what it's worth.

Example:-

I would also like to provide a 'screenshot' of the content if possible. I've taken a screenshot of my Myth TV backend "recorded programs" to show what I mean a little better:-

Sorry if it's a little vague, I know I should be searching google for the answer but I'd like knowledge and advice from you guys as you seem to know what you're on about - you just don't know what you're going to get with a google search!!

Cheers for any tips!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Use something like Flowplayer to play them.

Use something like ffmpeg to create a snapshot of the videos.
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You actually want to pull a FRAME from a video, not take a screenshot or a screencap or anything else. That should be one of your search terms.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. Confused badger

Gee guys, thanks for the info .. I've put the flowplayer on the webserver and will have a better bash at it tomorrow as it's 1am here now ....

I think it may be the wrong tool though, the files (something stupid like 3000 of them!) are mainly in AVI or MPEG format; from what I understand flowplayer will only play flv or f4v files which means I either have to convert them (not a good thing!) or find another solution.

The ffmpeg thing I will also try tomorrow.
    Cheers again!
  9. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moved from PHP to Scripts. Someone let me know if they think this ought to be in Flash rather than Scripts, I was on the fence.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. Confused badger

So, just an update, seems embedding a movie file was easier to do than I had expected ...

Now ... about grabbing a random frame from the movie file to use as a screenshot ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo