Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moved to Scripts
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally posted by Jake_Bottero
    These are harsh words, can you be more spacific about it's design issues?

-- Thanks
    OSCommerce has no real separation between presentation and logic. Thus, the concept of extensibility is lost on OSC - if you want to make a modification to the functionality or presentation of OSC, the task becomes daunting. OSC has a /long/ way to go before this problem is resolved and the code becomes really useable.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally posted by drgroove
    OSCommerce has no real separation between presentation and logic. Thus, the concept of extensibility is lost on OSC - if you want to make a modification to the functionality or presentation of OSC, the task becomes daunting. OSC has a /long/ way to go before this problem is resolved and the code becomes really useable.
    But Miva (commercial product) suffers from this same issue. Ever tried to customize a Miva shop? Templates are GOOD!

By the way, old thread, but good. Remember, not every topic requires a new thread, and a long thread often contains great info...
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yeah, I agree. Except I've seen the moderators on here slating people for reopening old threads too!

Damned if you do and damned if you don't!

9. Newbie :P
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

In most cases when people get slated it is because there input just isn't required, like answering a question that was asked 2 years ago and answered by 20 people anyway.

The diference is when someone asks a new question we can all then start answering it.
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy
  11. Contributing User
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

okay, okay!

I do agree with Dr Groove tho... OSCommerce is a bit sticky with it's customisability. It isn't the easiest for a php newbie to get to grips with.

I'd like to know what system Amazon use. I originally thought it was custom (which I'm sure it is to some degree now) but I've seen the same sort of system being used on other non-amazon related sites. I wonder if the shop architecture is something you can buy on the open market?
  13. Newbie :P
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I think you will find that the Amazon system is custom and it is other people who have copied the system because it obviously works.

I browse a lot of these freelance sites where you post jobs and a million programmers place a bid for the work and these type of projects come up quite a lot. I want an Amazon or an eBay replica etc etc.

Edit: As far as oscommerce it can be tricky for new programmers to use but after you get the hang of how to customize it you can do some pretty amazing things with it. The company I am working for at the moment has done a few osC sites and the amount of time the design guy has spent working with the app he has learnt it very well and the web sites are at the stage where they are running osC but you wouldn't know it because of the amount of change to design etc he has managed to make. So I guess it is a case of time to learn the system as well as newbie ness.
    Last edited by SilkySmooth; October 31st, 2003 at 05:05 AM.
    ---------------------
    -- SilkySmooth --
    ---------------------
    Proxy
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo