1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Web Forum Software

I am looking for a free web message board software. I came across phpBB. Does anyone know any articles on message board comparsion? What message board will you guys recommend? Thanks for the input
  3. sleeping guru
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

i think you will find endless amounts of discussion about this and it does come down to personal preference!! -- will try to find one ... if no one beats me to it !!

When you say message board i presume you mean forum like software?? in which case i rather like the Invision one but as i have already said it is personal preference!!

hope that helps!!

RF
  5. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Moved to Scripts.

Check out Invision Power Board - outside of vBulletin (what Devshed uses) its the best forum available - and doesn't have all of the security issues that come w/ using phpBB
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  7. No Profile Picture

Security is a big issue. How do vBulletin and Invision Power Board stack up on that?
  9. Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by rhymejerky
    Security is a big issue. How do vBulletin and Invision Power Board stack up on that?
    vB is your best bet, for features/security if you're willing & able to pay for the software (at ~$200, its a steal).

IPB would be next on my short list of PHP-based forum apps... security is pretty tight on IPB.

phpBB doesn't make it on my list, btw.
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  11. No Profile Picture

Unfortunately, our company is only looking into free software. I know IPB allows free usage until asked for support. Does that apply to commerical use as well?
  13. Moderator Emeritus

Yes.

You can use it for free as much as you want. You only have to pay for support if you need support. But, you get the source code - and its just PHP... frankly, if there's a problem, you should be able to dig into the code and figure it out.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo