1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there good money to be made in templates for OSComm and other site scripts?

I've made heavy modification to premade scripts in the past, and I find it pretty easy. However, at my current internship, I only get paid about $7.00 an hour (despite the work I do, which ranges from making sites standard compliant to CGI processing to generate a PDF from form input and send as an email attachment [ and no, I didn't use crappy formmail for it either.. . quit using that people!!] ).

Anyway, I recently heard that people pay alot for templates for scripts like OSComm... these are easy for me to design and teke me probably a day max (and that's just to fine tune everything). Just curious if there's good supplemental money in selling *GOOD* OSComm templates?

Thanks
  3. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by carrja99
    and no, I didn't use crappy formmail for it either.. . quit using that people!
    Amen!

I would look at it this way, if the premade script is free, I wouldn't expect too many people will want to pay for modifications and/or templates. Most of the attraction to those scripts is that they are free, and the user doesn't want to spend a dime.

Now, if the script costs money to use, then yes, I could see somebody paying for the modifications they need as well.

I have nothing to back this up, just my train-of-thought on the subject.
    # Jeremy

Explain your problem instead of asking how to do what you decided was the solution.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by jharnois
    Amen!

I would look at it this way, if the premade script is free, I wouldn't expect too many people will want to pay for modifications and/or templates. Most of the attraction to those scripts is that they are free, and the user doesn't want to spend a dime.

Now, if the script costs money to use, then yes, I could see somebody paying for the modifications they need as well.

I have nothing to back this up, just my train-of-thought on the subject.
    yeah, I was just curious... I'm thinking of making a few really good ones for fun and see what response I get from them... imo OSCommerce's default layout is a bit bland, and I think alot of people would perfer not to have a site cloned off others. I seen some really ****ty ones sold for $249 a pop, but hey, if someone buys a few for even $30, it's worth it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo