1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Best Scripting Language for Network Admins/Webmasters?

Hello, what would be the best scripting language to learn for these two jobs?

Thanks a bunch.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Interesting that no one has replied, this is usually a question that gets many different opinions based on each individuals taste. I've been an administrator of both Window and Unix systems for years concentrating on middleware application support, which reaches into both jobs that you mention. There is no one scripting language from my experience although I try to use KORNE SHELL for 80+ percent of what I do. My reason is that is provides the most flexibility and it is available on all Unix servers which is where I spend most my time. If I need to perform heavy text parsing I use PERL. If I need to run commands on multiple remote systems and pull the output to a single location, I typically use EXPECT. When working with J2EE application servers I use a combination of KORNE SHELL and JYTHON. When working with Windows I've used Windows Scripting host and PERL. If you are going to work in an environment that has both Windows and Unix, then learn PERL.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks man.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo