1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Creating charts in page using which scripting language?

Hi All,

I'm looking at using scripting on a page so that users can choose a timeline and create a trendline chart from the data. I currently have the data in both access and excel, so not having to migrate out of that would be helpful, but isn't absolutely necessary. I wanted to use drop down boxes and buttons to set out the parameters of what the chart will include, and then have the script create and display the chart.

The person I work for said to use javascript, but we were thinking about creating the charts ahead of time using excel and just using javascript to bring up the jpeg's. I think it would be much better to just allow the script to create a custom chart based on what set of data the user defines, especially since we'll be constantly adding new data.

I've worked with VBA a bit, but I'm not averse to using a different language if that better serves the purpose. What would be best? And thanks for your help!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think you should use language that you know. For example if you know VBA - you can find info how to build charts in VBScript. I saw components for VB that can produce charts some time ago...

In my work i often use pChart library for php. This is powerful tool, but you need no know php.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo