1. Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I would love to see a default image site for all major forum software

Not sure if you heard of gravatar but something like that for vbullutin and phpbb. It's so annoying how avatars are so many different sizes and cheezy default photos.

Not here particularly but on the web in general.
  3. Contributing User

The concept of Gravatar (even current implementation) works really well. The only pity .. most online communities run software ignorant of such online maturity.
    Latery Matey
  5. Registered User

Originally Posted by l8rm8e
    The concept of Gravatar (even current implementation) works really well. The only pity .. most online communities run software ignorant of such online maturity.
    I totally agree.. It seems so basic to have this option.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Most forum software that's even semi-decent will allow users to insert an outside image as an avatar... unless it's blocked by the site owners/mods/etc. 99% of the time it's not the software, it's the settings that are preventing it.
  9. Registered User

Originally Posted by Catacaustic
    Most forum software that's even semi-decent will allow users to insert an outside image as an avatar... unless it's blocked by the site owners/mods/etc. 99% of the time it's not the software, it's the settings that are preventing it.
    I agree but I mean one by default that would add it based on the email you used when you signed up.
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

That would be good for most uses. Personally, I'd like to have the option of which avatar that I used without having to have a seperate email address for each one.

I do think it's a good idea. I do think that it will be hard to get every forum/blog/etc software provider to implement this as most programmers really don't like extra work. Even if they did want to, the hardest part is getting everone to agree on one format. I haven't seen a group of any more then one programmer agree on things like that without a huge amount of fighting.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo