1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Any non-templated CMS's?

Can anybody point me in the direction of a good CMS system which is not packaged with a front end?

Ultimately I'd like some kind of CMS framework - a full administration suite which outputs content to XML or something similar so that we can build the front end from scratch.

Usually we would build a bespoke system for something like this, however the client has specifically asked for an existing open source solution.

Do Drupal or Joomla have 'stripped down' versions which might fulfill my criteria? Or some kind of plugins that anybody knows of?

Thanks for any help...
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Forgot to mention it has to be PHP...
  5. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You might be out of luck with this one. Every CMS that I've ever seen, no matter where, has always had a front end with it. Logically that makes sense. Why would someone want a CMS when they can't use it until they write their own front end code for it? (of course your situation is different, but that's a 1 in a billion case)

I don't know of anything that will suit you out of the box, but what you should look for is one with a well defined API that can give you the information that you need through calls to the API.

Realisticly this will just add overhead to the system, and give you very little benifit over modifying an existing system to do what you need it to. I know that both Drupal and Joomla can be modified to a pretyt huge extent, so almost all the time you're better off using something like that as a base, and making it display the way that you want it to.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo