1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking for a script. Help!

Disclaimer: I am a n00b.

So, I'm trying to figure out a way on my site that I can suggest other pages within my own site for them to check out. Keywords or other ways of associating two loosely-related pages would make sense to me, but when I search for a "keyword script" or anything like that all I get is SEO results for days. Frustrating!!

Maybe I'm over-thinking this, I'm most definitely missing something due to my ignorance, but I would really appreciate some help finding a solution to my problem.

I just want a painless way to internally relate my own pages to each other. The nature of my site (lots of data), makes it not so intuitive relating pages together for some automated processes that might exist.

Am I making sense? Thank you in advance for your awesomeness!
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

If the sites pages are stored in a database, do a query searching for relevant keywords and list the highest ranking pages. I can't tell you how to do that because each DB vendor does it a bit differently. It's really not that hard though.

If the pages are static... You'll need to do a lot of work to build something to index them all, keep indexing new pages as they are added, and then do the same searching functions that I mentioned first.
  5. No Profile Picture

That's actually the only way I could think of. I'd at least like to set it up so that I can enter keywords in on a specific page while I'm browsing... because eventually I wanna have little gremlins who can help me with that. It's annoying because the site will probably be ever evolving, so I'll have to constantly update page relationships as I add more features and data.

I just realized... some of my related pages will be based on the users' browsing habits too, not just what I would consider two related pages. That adds a whole extra dimension huh? FML.

Anyone know of any scripts used to recognize browsing habits and adapt a site accordingly? That would be friggin' sweet.
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

It's going to be very hard to find something off-the-shelf for this unless you're running a CMS system that has a module/plugin/expansion/etc like this already programmed.

If you're doing it yourself it's not that hard to do really. You just store the pages that the users have visited, use their keywords as well as ones form the current page, and see what the results are.

The hardest part of all of this is trying to decide on what keywords and sections should have the most importance. That's a very hard algorithm to get right (just ask Google, they change there's all the time).
  9. No Profile Picture

Ok, well, sounds fun.

I'll see what I can come up with. My gf is a math computations master student, I'll make her come up with an algorithm. Haha

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo