1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Auto Uploading Your Browsing History & Favs To Mysql DB Possible ?

Programmers,

Is there a way I can auto upload my internet browsing history and bookmarks (Favs) onto my website's mysql db so I don't have to do it manually one by one ?
    Can php do the job or do I have to look into Javascript ?
    If php can do it then what php functions would do the job ? Else, which Javascript function ?

Few yrs back, before del.icio.us was bought by another company, you could auto upload all your bookmarks to your del.icio.us account so that you can later access all your bookmarks on the web from any computer and you did not need to be standing in-front of your home computer to access your bookmarks that you saved on your home computer. I want to build something like that but I don't want the extraction & uploading limited to bookmarks only. Want to extract & upload both bookmarks & browsing history.

MySql database
    DB Name: links

Tbl Name: bookmarks
    Columns: id,date_&_time,username,bookmarked_urls

Tbl Name: browsing_history
    Columns: id,date_&_time,username,browsed_urls

I am thinking of providing a link on my page that when clicked it extracts all your browsing history and uploads it to my db.
    I am thinking of providing a link on my page that when clicked it extracts all your bookmarks and uploads it to my db (like del.icio.us used to do in the past before it was sold).

You are aware that, you can access you browsing history by clicking CTRL H. The urls you see in the browsing history list, these must be auto uploaded.

And, you are aware that, you can access you bookmarks by clicking CTRL B. The urls you see in the bookmarks list, these must be auto uploaded.
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You can't do it automatically. Sandboxing in browses doesn't allow it.

Someone can manually export their bookmarks and upload that, but that's all. There's some extensions out there for some browsers that will allow users to export history, but most will need someone to be completely technical to do it.

In short, no. While in theory it's possible, in practice, it's not something that just anyone could do.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo