1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

an unusual problem of building multiple sites towards a longer term goal

ok, this is possibly an unusual one...
    and I'm aware that this might not be the best sub-section of devshed for this question, but I couldn't find another that was a better fit

I have a friend who owns a shed-load of domain names, which he's always had the intention of setting up with full blown sites over time
    he isn't a coder, but he is a really good ideas guy
    Obviously, this means he is paying a load of money out each year for renewals, way too much, thousands!
    At one point he had close to 3000 names, i think many lapsed but he still has at least a few hundred, maybe even a 1000!

So anyway, the here task is to find a way to put some kind of sites up really quickly, with the intention of making a small amounts of money from advertising, not so that he can make a fortune from them, but just so that each one can cover the renewal fee.

he wants to get some of the full sites developed as soon as possible but obviously can't do them all at the same time.
    Therefore, As these quick sites are built, he wants to be able to make a bit of money off each to cover the domain renewal cost, and use that money (which was being used to renew) to have the full ones built and gradually snowball the development of the portfolio

so for the initial phase, i think the priorities are to look at having a fast, efficient way of getting sites online, being able to automate everything possible.
    I know him well and he is not a spamming kind of person, but he needs to stop the outgoings and put that money into developing the full sites

his initial ideas (for the full sites) were good and in depth for each site.
    Some related domains were to be used to point to 1 central site, like several satellites generating traffic for the main one in each area

he says as long as they are making the renewals then thats good enough at this stage

oh, and he hates Wordpress, so anything WP related is off limits

My skillset and preferences revolve mainly around Laravel, but I'm open to other non-Laravel solutions if thats what would be a better fit

so far, I'm thinking towards the following possibilities, but I'm open to critique on any of them, since I do not have the experience to tell what would work best

- to find a way to create a fairly simple template and find a system to be able to upload multiple versions of it quickly.
    - I was interested in finding out more about laravel.hosting as they said they had a 1-click Laravel solution, but now I'm not sure if they would be the best people to use!
    - Maybe Laravel Forge could be a possible solution for quick deployment?
    - could I use subdomains running from one laravel base for this? I don't know if that is possible

- use sass with variables for the colours, and on each iteration, have a different sass variables file which would give a different colour theme on each site.

- research scraping to find a way to include content on each site. I've found possible solutions in Python, Rails, and a possible solution in Laravel by writing a scheduled command

- group the domains into subject areas, so that different content can be added to one site, and then point related domain names at the one with the content

- have (google or other) ads included to create Click Through income

Any ideas?
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Doing this for even 100 sites is a lot of work, and the amount that it would cost to get this done would by far outweigh any income from advertising. Trying to just get content for this will be somewhere between hard and impossible. Have you ever tried to get 5 pages of content for a single site? Imagine doing that for 100 sites...

The way that it's normally done is to set up a single back-end with a catch-all server that will accept any domain that's pointed to it. The back-end of the system decides on what ads to show based on what the domain is, and that's about all there is to it. Then the domains are all pointed to that server. It's a simple system, but that's what works for the vast majority of domain squatters out there now.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo