1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Appearing on google search

For example if we search the word "yahoo" on google, other than yahoo webpage link appearing, 6 more sub options branches out below it.

How do I code my CSS such that my website's sub-pages appear in similar fashion too? Is it some form of meta tags.

Thanks for advice.
  3. CSS & JS/DOM Adept
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

*** Thread Moved to SEO Forum ***

This has nothing to do with CSS. Meta tags are HTML.

The subpage links are automatically added by Google when it wants to. There is nothing you can do to control it. All you can control is what your URLs, page titles, page descriptions, and the image that shows up sometimes (though I forget the specifics on that; it might be related to "opengraph").
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  5. No Profile Picture
    Online Strategist
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Those sub pages are called site links and you don't have much control over them. Google decides what to show in them and the only thing you can do is instruct Google to not to show the one you don't like ( You can do this via the Google webmaster tools ).
    However there are some things you can do make them appear in search results. Adding good navigation is one things. Although I haven't done a comprehensive analysis of this adding breadcrumb navigation improves your chances of getting site links.
    Also even a simple blog post can get sub links appearing in a search result if you add section links. Take a look at this flowchart tutorial . Notice the links to get to sub sections. Now do a search for flowchart tutorial and check the result. You will see some of those sub links appearing in the search result. Does wonders for the click through rate.
    So there are some things you can do to get site links.

Comments on this post

• Kravvitz agrees
    Last edited by nsillk; May 23rd, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo