1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Changing the old url! Where's my PageRank???

Long time no see, guys. I got trouble with my website. When i didn't know too much about web design or coding, I made a html page that have hyphens like this:

Code:
    http://www.domain.com/shopping_tips/shopping_online%20guides.htm
    My subpage has PR 3!

I decided to change the url hyphens as google guide to this:

Code:
    http://www.domain.com/shopping-tips/shopping-online-guides.htm
    And .... it goes down to zero ( PR 0 ) ..

I'm confused pros please help me out of this!

Any help is appreciated!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Online Strategist

It's a newly created page with a different URL. So the PR will be obviously low. Did you redirect the old one to the current one ? Do a 301 redirect and you will hopefully get your old page rank back.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by nsillk
    It's a newly created page with a different URL. So the PR will be obviously low. Did you redirect the old one to the current one ? Do a 301 redirect and you will hopefully get your old page rank back.
    My web management get off few days, so i don't have anyone to help me out of this. I didn't use 301 redirect. How long google will consider my new url is " new " ? I don't want my old url's ranking will be disappeared permanently! I'm worrying .. So long to get a subpage has good ranking
  7. No Profile Picture

Make a 301 redirection to transfer your PR to a new page and build some quality links, PR will be transferred in the next PR update.
  9. No Profile Picture

I think issuing a 301 redirect is very helpful in this situation. It tells Google which page is the old one and which page is new one. For sure, there are lots of links pointing to the old URL, which Google could crawl though no longer since you have decide to change it without redirecting the old page name to the new page name.

If you are not sure on how to go about redirecting the old page, just follow below:
    1. Access your web space (using something like FileZilla)
    2. locate .htaccess file (this is probably located in the root directory. Create it if it does not exists)
    3. add the following line of code at the very bottom of the file (add a new line):
    Code:
    redirect 301 /shopping_online%20guides.htm http://www.domain.com/shopping-tips/shopping-online-guides.htm
    or
    Code:
    redirect 301 shopping_tips/shopping_online%20guides.htm http://www.domain.com/shopping-tips/shopping-online-guides.htm

Comments on this post

• Scorpions4ever disagrees : Why are you so ashamed of your country that you have to pretend to be from Florida? Why not admit you're from the Philippines?
  11. No Profile Picture

@Scorpions4ever I am not really ashamed of my country, just traveling back and forth, so I thought I could use any of them. Thanks for the red button anyway.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You've failed! These are two different URLs! So Google was right when gave zero PR for new URL.
  15. No Profile Picture

I would like to know if you have already done 301 redirection as suggested by other members. As its only the best way also would like to tell you in that also you have to wait for few time(hard to predict how much) donít expect result (or pr) so soon.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo