Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

What is a friendly url anyways?

Hello;

A few things:

1 - Which one is more Google friendly:

• http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tips_on_how_to_move_on_from_a_breakup/things_to_do_in_order_to_move_on/
    • http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tips-on-how-to-move-on-from-a-breakup/things-to-do-in-order-to-move-on/
    • http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tipsonhowtomoveonfromabreakup/thingstodoinordertomoveon/
    • http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tips/thingstodo/
    • http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tips/things-to-do/

2 - Is this proper way of doing it?
    Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^tips-on-how-to-move-on-from-a-breakup/([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?tips-on-how-to-move-on-from-a-breakup=$1 [L]
    Thank you
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Google doesn't care a great deal what your URL looks like, but the second one is the friendliest for humans.
    1) Not everyone even knows what an underscore is because it's not normally used in written text. The best way to describe it to someone is usually to tell them where it's located on the keyboard.
    3) Hard to read
    4) Not very descriptive
    5) Not very descriptive
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Google doesn't care a great deal what your URL looks like, but the second one is the friendliest for humans.
    1) Not everyone even knows what an underscore is because it's not normally used in written text. The best way to describe it to someone is usually to tell them where it's located on the keyboard.
    3) Hard to read
    4) Not very descriptive
    5) Not very descriptive
    Thanks. I am learning the mod rewrite thing. I thought now that I am writing these rules, I might as well learn what is the best way to do so I follow a pattern.
    Code:
    RewriteRule ^tips-on-how-to-move-on-from-a-breakup/([^/\.]+)/?$ index.php?tips-on-how-to-move-on-from-a-breakup=$1 [L]
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

There are a lot of different ways to set up the rewrite rules. It mostly depends on how many rules you are going to have. If it's only a handful, or only a handful of formats, then it makes sense to just define them individually. If it dozens or more then the usual approach is to just have one rewrite rule that routes everything to a single PHP file and have that PHP file parse the URL in $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] and perform its own routing. That is how virtually all generic PHP frameworks operate.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. A Change of Season

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    There are a lot of different ways to set up the rewrite rules. It mostly depends on how many rules you are going to have. If it's only a handful, or only a handful of formats, then it makes sense to just define them individually. If it dozens or more then the usual approach is to just have one rewrite rule that routes everything to a single PHP file and have that PHP file parse the URL in $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] and perform its own routing. That is how virtually all generic PHP frameworks operate.
    Hey while I got you here, I am finally doing a php -zend frame work course. Very expensive but it covers all the things I always was desperate for. Do you have any comments, or tips? Check this. Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Url with a specified keyword placed in it considered as best url. like if http://www.howtomoveonfromabreakup.com/tips/things-to-do/ contains your keyword "Things To Do" than it will be good enough. Dates question mark dot, comma etc all are unnecessary.
  13. CSS & JS/DOM Adept

I agree with E-Oreo. However, is such a long name for the "folder" really necessary? It's making for a rather long URL with some redundancy in the keywords.
    Spreading knowledge, one newbie at a time.

Check out my blog. | Learn CSS. | PHP includes | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator | Common CSS Mistakes | Common JS Mistakes

Remember people spend most of their time on other people's sites (so don't violate web design conventions).
  15. A Change of Season

What I did I just got rid of the .php in all pages! Like this. It is understandable and human friendly. As the website is not that large, I think it does it. Do you have any comments on this?
    Code:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ %{REQUEST_FILENAME}.php [L]
    Thank you.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The last URL I can say is the most SEO friendly URL. On the other hand a URL which is easy to read and understand by the end user and it is easy to remember is named as SEO friendly URL.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The second one is good for SEO friendly URL.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Friendly URL means a url which is more readable. Normally, people modify their url to make search engine friendly. 2 and 3 are fine as per my opinion.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

search engine friendly url means we should keep keyword in url but it should be not like too too big URL. we should keep and small so people can read well too and understand what is it about.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yup!! I completely agree with you. Now, on CMS like wordpress as soon as you post your title of article you are free to edit it anytime and anyhow as you want. Once the article is published then that friendly url is live on internet.
  27. No Profile Picture

I think, last url correct.mostly keyword load in folders its great advantage...but in url u can add underscore or iphen its better.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo