Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. A Change of Season
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Nobbies beach, Gold Coast. It's beautiful.
    Posts
    2,575
    Rep Power
    171

    Does https effect SEO?


    Hi;

    Does https effect SEO?

    Thanks
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    830
    Rep Power
    275
    LMGTFY

    lots of info on first page.
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Currently https does not effect your ranking at all, because their are many website who use secure connection (SSL) example Paypal.
  6. #4
  7. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Using HTTPS does not effect SEO directly, meaning that it will neither help nor hurt your search engine ranking. However, keep in mind that search engines view http and https as different urls so pages accessible via both will be considered as duplicate content. Make sure that you use a 301 redirect to force all traffic to whichever one you choose.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Nilpo
    Using HTTPS does not effect SEO directly, meaning that it will neither help nor hurt your search engine ranking. However, keep in mind that search engines view http and https as different urls so pages accessible via both will be considered as duplicate content. Make sure that you use a 301 redirect to force all traffic to whichever one you choose.
    Yes it is the right way for using HTTPS for your site and i think it doedn't have any effct in SEO.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    10
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Nilpo
    Using HTTPS does not effect SEO directly, meaning that it will neither help nor hurt your search engine ranking. However, keep in mind that search engines view http and https as different urls so pages accessible via both will be considered as duplicate content. Make sure that you use a 301 redirect to force all traffic to whichever one you choose.
    Hi Nilpo,

    I just want to make correction that now Google can crawl and index https page so there is no need to add any 301 codes.
  12. #7
  13. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Originally Posted by pankajdas0909
    Hi Nilpo,

    I just want to make correction that now Google can crawl and index https page so there is no need to add any 301 codes.
    I'm aware that Google can index https pages, that's exactly why you must use a 301 redirect to prevent duplicate content.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Its provides a secure platform for users so search engines are okay with the use of https these days.
  16. #9
  17. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Originally Posted by elegantmw
    Its provides a secure platform for users so search engines are okay with the use of https these days.
    Your answer is misleading. Search engines have always allowed secure HTTP protocol. Your answer is misleading because you suggest that you can use it without having to worry about anything. As I've posted already, that's not entirely accurate.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Delhi
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0
    There many site which use https for privacy purpose and it does not affect your ranking. However you need to 301 redirect http to https to avoid duplicate content.
  20. #11
  21. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Originally Posted by ajeetsingh
    There many site which use https for privacy purpose and it does not affect your ranking. However you need to 301 redirect http to https to avoid duplicate content.
    Thank you for repeating what has already been said.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0
    Originally Posted by Nilpo
    I'm aware that Google can index https pages, that's exactly why you must use a 301 redirect to prevent duplicate content.
    You can also do this by writing a redirection code in your .htaccess file. Also it is a good practice that you use "https" in your links when linking to a secured page.
  24. #13
  25. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Originally Posted by webnook
    You can also do this by writing a redirection code in your .htaccess file. Also it is a good practice that you use "https" in your links when linking to a secured page.
    Can also do? That's exactly what I telling them to do. You can implement the 301 by any means you like. .htaccess file happens to be one method (providing you are using an Apache server with AllowOverride.) There are many other options as well depending on server type.

    Simply saying that you should use the HTTPS protocol to access secured pages is a little vague. You should use HTTPS any time you are transferring sensitive data. That could be as simple as a password for logging in or as complicated as a purchase transaction. However, I'm sure that the OP is well aware of that fact since they would not be concerned with it otherwise.

    I would also add, that just adding HTTPS is not enough. The server also needs to be properly configured to handle it and needs to have a valid, signed security certificate installed. Again, I'm sure the OP is already aware of this as well.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    https is only use for banking or any cash websites. it effect only those websites other is not good. So i have suggestion to you if you are going to create website for banking or cash that good use https ssl domain.

    Comments on this post

    • Nilpo disagrees
  28. #15
  29. Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    New Springfield, OH
    Posts
    1,181
    Rep Power
    1469
    Originally Posted by fayyazahmed
    https is only use for banking or any cash websites. it effect only those websites other is not good. So i have suggestion to you if you are going to create website for banking or cash that good use https ssl domain.
    SSL is arguably a good choice for any website that requires a login.
    Don't like me? Click it.

    Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

    Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

    Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo