1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Tracking links without using google

I have a link on my site to: Site A (someother site), that I want to track the link click from my site:Site B. I want to track that link, but every search indicates that you need to use Google and UTM. How do advertisers and other do this link tracking themselves?
    Code:
    ie http://siteA.com/index.htm?site=SiteB.com/trackingpage&trackingID=123
    So that the user is correctly taken to the destination site, but my site is correctly tracking that this particular link was used.
  3. Banned ;)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Woodland Hills, Los Angeles County, California, USA
    Large advertisers use their programming department. It is very easy to write a script (in PHP, perl, ASP etc.) that records the click in a database (along with details like IP address, date and time, browser agent, cookies etc.) and then returns a HTTP redirect to send the user to the destination page. Then, they simply query the database for the required information.

Another way to do it is to use a third-party tracking script. Also, Google isn't the only company offering tracking stats, there are several others as well. Here's a wikipedia list for you.

DISCLAIMER: The company I work for also makes a neat product that enables people to manage tags on their websites, but it is currently being promoted to large companies only (self-serve personal version for small websites is coming later down the line). Yes, I am heavily involved in designing and coding it. No, it is not in the wikipedia link I posted above. And yes, not only can you use it to track clicks, but it also allows the user to manage all sorts of tags on the website as well.
    Up the Irons
    What Would Jimi Do? Smash amps. Burn guitar. Take the groupies home.
    "Death Before Dishonour, my Friends!!" - Bruce D ickinson, Iron Maiden Aug 20, 2005 @ OzzFest
    Down with Sharon Osbourne

"I wouldn't hire a butcher to fix my car. I also wouldn't hire a marketing firm to build my website." - Nilpo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the list you linked to.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo