1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

writing SEO for a video

Hello,I could not find much information on the web regarding meta tags for a video or animation. Can someone point me the right place?

Here's the video in question if interested:: http:// dab-a-do.com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

and also, if I have an image, with a link for the same url, should I do alt tags for the image and the link? Or maybe just one? I think Google looks at too much repetition as a bad thing.

Thanks
    ~Sean
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Video is everywhere and this is both a blessing and a curse, especially if you’re trying to stand out from the rest of the crowd at the top of search engine results pages. So consider the following video SEO tips to help put you ahead of the competition.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks jamiehennings : )
  9. No Profile Picture

Just wanted to jump in with some additional thoughts....

For video:
    When I loaded the example site that you mentioned, I saw a prompt for me to enable flash in both chrome and firefox...that may be a blocker for some users...There are several ways to rank with a video:
    a) in video search
    b) In a video search engine e.g. google video search vertical, youtube, etc
    c) in universal google search as a video rich snippet

From what I know, the biggest decision you'll be making is how to host your video... in general, from what I've seen, ranking self hosted videos is harder than those on youtube.
    Depending on your situation and if you have only a few videos, throwing them up on youtube will be your best bet. After that decision is made, the key thing is to be descriptive. Don't go crazy thing about keywords because, you're right, google does not like repeated keywords in too many places. Try instead to include descriptive modifiers or attributes. Also, try to add a transcript to the page, this helps accessibility and provides more data to google so they can best analyze for relevancy.
    Hopefully this gets at your question about how to go about the <meta>s and general factors involved..

Animations:
    Also, hate to say it, in general, Google does not like flash.
    I have less experience with animations but these would rank in image search, so good 'ol gifs may be something to thing about here #1994styles. From there, to rank them, it will come down to file name and the onpage factors (meta title, headings, surround content) where the image appears. Google may also be doing some machine learning on them to recognize them but from what I see, this is still a little bit on the basic side.

All in all:
    Ranking videos is broader then animations, so I would start out there...ranking animations will have much less opportunity, since that pretty much is in image search (I never see them in universal search)...so the opportunity to get traffic will be less

Hope this helps
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi waitwhiterabbit,
    Thanks for the info. It is hard to convert the flash video because it has embedded MOV's.

Thanks for the other info as well : )
  13. No Profile Picture

Give the unique title for the video
    Write the description elaborately about the video
    Get the backlinks from high DA video websites.
  15. No Profile Picture

There are some important tips, SEO for a video
    1. Title of the video – Use Keywords
    2. Description of a video.
    3. Naming your video file before upload.
    4. Use closed caption (CC) feature in your video
    5. Tagging & Keyword research for your video.

Include singular and plural of you tags, like if your keyword is ” Tattoo Art” then also put ” Tattoo Arts”, and separate your keyword into different tags like ” Tattoo” & “Art”.

Include Phrase into tags such as your long tail keywords.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo