1. guru
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Website referrals click through tracking

Hi all,

I've b en asked to develop a website to track referrals. Reading online I've read a few things about affiliate schemes and the such but can't find anything that covers exactly what my client wants. I was hoping some could let me know if what I am asking for exists and if so how it is implemented or where I can read about it.

Ok so here's the requirement,

The website will offer 3rd party vendors to sell their own products. Alongside this each vendor will get their own page where we will link through to their website. If the user clicks on the link to the site I want to firstly track that it has been clicked(this should be pretty easy) but secondly once on the vendors own site I want the ability to track any orders made. My client intends to make commission from the click through and traffic passed based on the amount of transactions e.g, 10percent commission on all sales from the site.

Is this possible without the vendors having to configure their site somehow? How do you ensure that you accurately receive figures on what the vendor has sold on their site down to your traffic. E.g. What's stopping th m understating their sales figures based on your traffic?

Thanks

Ed
    Create, Inspire & enjoy
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

5. No Profile Picture

You can use Cross domain analytic feature to track mulitple website in single account ... https://support.google.com/analytics..._topic=2772342
  7. No Profile Picture

If what you want is track conversion on someone else's site, it is possible only in certain conditions, but not in the way you describe (at least as far as I know). The conditions would be:

-Can you see/manage their analytics account?
    -Is the target website tracking conversions properly?

If the answer to any of those is no, then you can't. If you don't own the analytics or the website, you can't see their information. All you can do is see and control your website's own analytics.

With the URL builder if they use analytics, THEY will see where people come from and IF they are tracking conversions properly, then THEY will see the conversions and the source. Then you have to rely on them telling you the truth. Some will, some will not.

Cross domain analytics is really for domains you own and control, it doesn't let you see what other domains' analytics get. This Google's definition of Cross domain tracking: "Cross domain tracking makes it possible for Analytics to see sessions on two related sites (such as an ecommerce site and a separate shopping cart site) as a single session. This is sometimes called site linking."

That means that you track visitors in multiple domains/websites you own and that are related to each other so that the visitor only counts as one, instead of one in one domain and one in the other domain (and then all their actions seen as coming from two users).

Like I said before, all you can do is control your information, for privacy reasons, Google won't give you what other collect (or any other tracking tool for that matter).

This is what I know as far as tracking conversions in other people's websites.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo