1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Optimize a page consisting of just a map

I've got a webstie where the home page consists only of a map and a slider.
    Inside the map there are several markers and clicking on those there is a short text explaining about that place.

Those texts are generated dynamically and do not appear if you see the code of the page.
    Because of this, I suppose that the search engines do not read those texts and therefore they do not contribute to the page indexing.

Is there a way to also put those texts elsewhere in the page keeping them hidden to the users (they should only be able to read the texts using the markers on the map)?

I think that it is not such clear what I'm asking, if you need and if it is possible, I could provide a link to show the situation.
  3. No Profile Picture

That is toughie, Alhazred. The google webmaster guidelines do not want you doing stuff like displaynone or showing the content to search engines in a way that is different to users but here are some ideas

a) Include general information about the website which includes some content to help google establish relevancy of your hompage and visually deproritize
    b) include the content on the page but visually deprioritize it, such as throwing it into an accordian.
    c) Another thing you can do is only showing it to non-cookied users, instead of just singling out googlebot useragent to show the content to
    d) A final option depending on the strength of your domain is to just optimize meta data and headings only (although this may be less effective depending on the overall strength of the domain).

Small side note:
    I strongly advise against sliders, they tend to hurt conversion and interaction rates. If focusing user actions on the map markers is a priority, I would test removing slider to improve clicks.

Hope this helps!
  5. No Profile Picture

The point c) is something I could do since for the non-logged users the map is not full-size but it is possible to scroll the page.
    The slider is there to explain a bit how the website works and what users can do, which just showing a map is not clear.

Thanks for your answer.
  7. No Profile Picture

I would say add the content of the slider as static content (likely, very few vistiors are making it to the second slide even); From there you can maybe lightly optimize that text? Maybe that is something to a/b test if you're driving enough sessions to do so to make sure there is no impact on interactions? In any case, I think that would be a way to add the text to the page from an SEO point of view
  9. No Profile Picture

You can use the CSS attributes as display: none for hiding the text from the users. But be careful, if it goes wrong it will be considered as a Black Hat SEO techniques.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo