Thread: Banning

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Banning

I'm having a problem here well sorta i made a .htaccess file and added a IP that i wanted block from viewing my site but as i read on another tutorial site about banning you can also add URLS?
    exsample .aol.com as they stated in there tut, lead with the DOT but i tried that and it dont seem to work but i lookd in my log file and i keep getting this same IP well not a IP but it has a bunch of numbers before then after the numbers it has swfl.rr.com which is out of FL, cable is there away to find the IP of that person? or can add that in my htacces file everything it has including the numbers here is what i'm getting from my logs [ 67838hfc159.swfla.rr.com ] if anyone can give me some help many thanks
  3. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Are you sure that is the format you get in your logs? I would expect swfla.rr.com (SouthWestFLoridA) follow the same format as most others *.rr.com, that is reversed ip appended to network. ie ip 12.34.56.78 would be 78-56-34-12.swfla.rr.com. Anyway, turn off HostnameLookups in httpd.conf and it'll leave just ips in logs.
    And you know I mean that.
  5. No Profile Picture

BANNING

Yes that is what i'm getting in my stats from my website logs as i just checked again this addy or IP is showing up ( 67838hfc159.swfla.rr.com ) and yes its out of south florida as i traced it with neo tracer pro and went to that url but what would i put in the .htaccess file that whole number with swfla.rr.com? ok i'll try turning off that feature if i can find it lol..

OK follow up i talked with my host and i CAN"T shut that feature off its set by default any other suggestion in how to ban this address 67838hfc159.swfla.rr.com please let me know thanks
    Last edited by style; April 5th, 2002 at 07:37 PM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just put deny from 67838hfc159.swfla.rr.com to http://yourdomain.com/.htaccess

Though, on a shared host requests from him will still show up in your error log with [403] error. Filtering unwanted log is another story which you can't do on a shared host.
  9. No Profile Picture

BANNING

But will it ban that person if i put 67838hfc159.swfla.com and whatever they use if i see that addy in my .htaccess file?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If that person is on dailup with dynamic IP then of course you really are banning that FQDN rather than the person.
    And if that's the IP of a gateway with 100 people behind it you will ban that 100 people as well.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo