1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is there a book about crypthology?

Hi everybody.I saw the resource list over this thread and I particularly liked the 1st link,cos it really was what I needed ie lessons in practical crypthology and not much math.Is there a book around like that?many of the books I saw are about cryptography(I never bought any so I might be wrong)but not many talk about how to decipher a text.Thanks in advance
  3. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I think the sticky got most of the resources, but what are you looking for? are you looking for particular info on how to go about decrypting a certain piece of cypher text? or general info on cryptanalysis?

Displeaser
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi.The sticky didn't talk about good old paper books,as far as I saw.I still like those ,cos I can't always be connected.I am looking for methods used in order to decipher texts,ie substitution,transposition,with practical cipher text and the same text decrypted ,if possible.I always found it easier to learn with practical examples ,my abstraction capabilities are slim to none.Books by Schneier or others look like talking a lot about cryptography besides being expensive(I might of course be wrong about them only talking of cryptography)
  7. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Basically, you're looking for a book on practical ways to launch attacks against ciphertext, so you can learn by example?

You're not going to learn as much about cryptography if you only try to break stuff. You'll learn a lot more if you read a book like Applied Cryptography (by Bruce Schneier ), as it will introduce and walk you through how and why various cryptographic ideas do/don't work.

Unfortunately, cryptography is almost all abstraction, and there is very little "hands-on" work. Most of it is algorithm design (abstract), after that there is implementation (which I would call fairly "hands-on"), after that there is algorithm compromise (abstract), after which there is algorithm compromise implementation (hands-on).

You could concentrates your efforts on learning how to break ciphertexts, but if you know the algorithm used for encryption, there really isn't a whole lot to know. Most of the non-mathematical attacks are relatively straight forward and involve some guessing and checking / brute forcing.

And, realistically, in order to know how to break the algorithm, you basically have to know how it works. For attacks that aren't heavily math-based, you basically just need to know how the algorithm itself works, and you can deduce how you could go about attacking it.

Your best resource is probably Google. Find an algorithm you want to learn how to break/analyze and run a search for it.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Library

I started cryptography when I first went to my local library. Try looking there, you'd be suprised. My library has every computer book I would ever want, and every programming language.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks everybody for your replies.I think I found such a book,by looking at reviews on amazon.The book looks a bit dated(1940's or so)but reviews say it's still a valid book and for 8 euros I suppose it's worth a try:-)so I ordered it.Regards
  13. Periodically energetic Perler
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

whats its name?

D
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi again.The book is entitled "cryptanalysis"authored by Helen F.Gaines.I think it's worth a try(speaking for myself)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo