1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

credit card transactions

hi,

i am wondering what is entailed with online credit card transactions, ie encryption etc, how do websites usually interface with banks or other 3rd party companies?

i've written a site in php, so would i display a page where the user inputs the credit card details and order cost, then it is up to me to encrypt the data and send it to some url of a bank, then they do the transaction and send back some sort of confirmation number of the transaction for the customer and my records?

any help regarding this matter would be greatly appreciated because i haven't the faintest idea about this process.

even a url where i could do some reading up on this would be greatly appreciated.

kindest regards,

Aaron.
  3. Mobbing Gangster
    Devshed Demi-God (4500 - 4999 posts)

"Best City" 2002 and 2003- Melbourne, Australia
    Well first thing you need is an account on authorize.net or any other available 3rd party co that will connect you with bank net. I think searching with 'credit card processing' will get you some nice results. There also has been a poll on which co is best to have merchant account with. And yea, dont forget to make sure your host supports ssl transactions.
    And you know I mean that.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Depending on the volume you plan on doing, it can be a headache to set all of that up.

For custom more high-end solutions, you will need 3 things: a merchant account, an SSL certificate registered with the proper authority such as verisign, and a credit card gateway to process the card.

Some banks will handle merchant and gateway, such as bank of america.

For less customized but easier solutions, a lot of web hosting companies have established relationships that can handle the entire process.

You can start here:

http://www.verisign.com/products/payment.html

Chad

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo