1. It's only wrong if you're caught....
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Cryptology Resources

Hi guys,

I was thinking that now we have a pseudo-Cryptology forum, we should have a thread with some resources for learning Cryptology, or anything useful, so yeah, here are a few links I've got:

http://www.und.nodak.edu/org/crypto/...class/lessons/ - A bunch of cryptanalysis lessons, admittedly I haven't read them all but of the few I've read they seem quite good, and its also recommended by the extremely trusted (:P, depending on who you ask, :P) source of Ma's Reversing........I frequent those type of sites too much....

Then there's the Handbook of Applied Cryptography, which almost everyone recommends...

Bruce Scheiner has written a Self-Study thingy about block ciphers at: http://www.schneier.com/paper-self-study.html but he recommends reading the handbook (above), before trying it...

Now I haven't read his blog, but B-Con keeps linking to it so here it is: http://www.schneier.com/blog/....

He also has a Crypto-Gram which he sends out every moth I think, while its an interesting read I don't really think it helps in learning anything, its (IMO) a simple aggregation of sort-of relevant news info, if his blog is the same, I think while interesting not something to learn from.....

So yeah, if anyone else has some links to throw in it'd be good, maybe if we get enough contributions we could sticky this or something?
  3. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Ack, you beat me to the creation of this thread

Schneier's newletter is basically the important stuff from his blog. His blog is concentrated on analyzing more practical, everyday, people-related security from a normal person's perspective. He used to be really big on mathematical stuff, but eventually he realized that most good mathematical security was rendered useless by incompetent users, so he switched gears and started addressing more practical issues that are of more widespread concern.

Here's the hugest collection of links I've ever found, and I dare someone to find better.

I also recommend the Cipher Text blog. It's not updated as often as Schneier's, but Matt's entries are always interesting.

Also, as far as The Handbook of Applied Cryptography goes, it's a great book, but please read the brief copyright info before downloading it. The book is valued at ~90 USD, and they're giving it to us for free. The least we can do is honor their wishes.

There is another good free book availible called A Computional Introduction to Number Theory. A decent grasp of Algebra is recommended

In addition, there is a compiled set of notes for an MIT encryption course that are freely availible.

I'm sure I'm missing some links, but that's not a bad start
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  5. (retired)

An Overview of Cryptography.

--Simon

Comments on this post

• kuza55 agrees : Funnily enough I just found that yesterday...(Contributing to the overgrown monstrosity that is Simon's rep power, :P)
  7. Crypto-Con

RSA Crypto FAQ -- A mathematically-based crypto FAQ brought to you by a household security figure.

Also, Bruce Schneier has a very large database where he archives published papers.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

The one book that helped me understand cryptology from olden days to enigma to RSA was
    "The Code Book" by Singh.

Easy read, entire hsitory of cryptology, a great resource for understanding the RSA stuff.

And it will make you realize how 'non encrypted' or safe your website and servers really are.

Very scary.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo