1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DB on webserver?

Iíve got a website that currently needs a total overhaul. I inherited it from the last web admin that worked here and weíre planning to rewrite it from scratch. We currently receive between 1200 and 2000 hits daily to our website. Currently we are running ColdFusion and MSSQL&MYSQL on one box. For security reasons Iím concerned about this type of setup. Iím fairly new to this type of thing but ideally wouldnít you want to host the databases on a separate box hiding in the back somewhere?

Are there any pitfalls to hosting the DB server separately?

Thanks,
    DSFX
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Are there any pitfalls to hosting the DB server separately?
    There are two big ones. First, it's more expensive. Second, there's more latency between your web application and the DB server.

If your site only receives 2k hits per day I'd find it really hard to justify the cost of adding and maintaining a second server.

Unless you're doing something that requires maximum security, like financial or medical records, the extra security doesn't really justify the cost.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thanks for your reply. I was on the fence but this helps.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo