1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Thumbs up difference between FreeBSD and NetBSD

What are the significant differences between FreeBSD and NetBSD ? The only thing i know abt them is that BSD stands for Berkely Software Distribution

I just need to know since I am planning to Install FreeBSD on my Computer.

thanx
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> What are the significant differences

- FreeBSD's source codes rely on Perl heavily while NetBSD doesn't even have Perl installed by default
    - Free runs great on all networking services
    - Net's more stable then Free
    - Free has more programs (in the ports tree)
    - If you want just a plain firewall/router (Net is your choice because of its stability)
    - Free has sysinstall (a GUI) where you can configure various stuffs
    - Net has no GUI at all, if you don't have at least 2 years of Linux/UNIX background, Net is not for you
    - Free has more documentation on the web while Net has a better written docs on their site
    - Free is easier to install while Net seems easy as well (if you understand hard drive geometry+offset well)
    - Net disables everything by default
    - Free comes with XFree86 3.3.6 while Net comes with 4.1.0 by default (but not install by default). In Free, you can still install 4.1.0 from precompiled binaries or ports tree.

Having played around with Free for 4 yrs, Net for 3 yrs and Open for 2 yrs, I have to say Free's more user-friendly for a newbie. Either one, they are better than Linux (as a server), not to mention the low-end M$ win2k/xp/nt. That said, it really depends on what you plan to do with this box.

Your message is totally off-topic in this forum. You should check out http://bsdvault.net
  5. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

thanx freeBsd for the detailed explanation ..
    Sorry for posting this in security , I actually thought I was posting it in beginners(you will get the clue from my name)

I will check the site you have suggested

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo