1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

expansion/control... help/suggestions... 56k

i just got a 56k frame (no dsl available here) and i'm looking for info/suggestions on how to set things ups...
    background-
    cisco router w/motorola csu/dsu
    no hub yet :-(
    14 ip addresses

i run
    1 redhat 6.2 box with
    apache
    qmail
    proftp
    mysql
    php
    and a dns server since i host (apache/virtual) 18 domains

what kind of hub should i get and what is the best way to split my services so i can serve pages and services the most efficent way with room for expansion without redoing the entire setup??? what should i consider for a firewall, i'm running an ipchains firewall now???
    i can build 1 more box right away and more as the need comes up...

any ideas would be appreciated!!!!
    terry
    It works better if you plug it in!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

>> i can build 1 more box right away

Do so now and consider FreeBSD. If you don't have any experience with that, build another cheap box just for developing environment. Not trying to start a Linux vs. BSD flame war, qmail runs best on FreeBSD.

>> what should i consider for a firewall, i'm running an ipchains firewall now???

If FreeBSD, use a stateful firewall like ipfilter.

>> what kind of hub should i get

I am not going to comment this so it's left for others.

>> what is the best way to split my services

For just the services that you listed, I would put qmail and dns on your spare box. I don't know how your qmail is setup, if you run any webmail like sqwebmail, consider putting Apache (with SSL) on it. I also don't know how your users get their emails, pop3 or courier-imap doesn't matter, just make sure you implement SSL/TLS.

Since you have 14 IPs to use, consider using 4 IPs on this box:

webmail.domain.com (add SSL)
    smtp.domain.com (add tls.patch)
    ns1.domain.com
    mail.domain.com (get imapd-ssl)

As for Redhat 6.2, enable suEXEC if possible, recompile Apache and consider mod_ssl or Apache-SSL. Run a slave nameserver on this box. For proftpd, make sure to run the latest version and apply the TLS patch.

You might not worry about security as much as I do, Redhat 6.2 is secure only if you often check for vulnerabilities and apply appropriate patches. Once again, no Linux vs FreeBSD flame war here, it's easier to upgrade/apply patches on FreeBSD than any Linux dist.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I just want to back up what freebsd said. Although I run linux and love qmail, FreeBSD will run Qmail much better and more reliably.

About a year ago I was running, qmail w/ the tls-patch and the big-todo patch, courier-imap, sqwebmail and apache with mod_ssl on the same server as DNS. Everything ran very well on RedHat 7.0. I then switched over to the reiserfs filesystem and was even happier.

With reiserfs the system seemed to go much faster, but whether or not you use this filesystem with qmail is a decision you need to make on your own.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll check out FreeBSD, I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend :-)
    Terry
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

freebsd version???

should i stick with the stable 4.2 version or get 4.3 or get another version??? i'm not going to have alot of time for upgrades in the next 3-4 months and i'd like to get setup and familiar with it and be comfortable that that i have a good version...
    thanks,
    terry
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The latest 4.3-STABLE (as of today) can be downloaded from -> ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBS...010629-STABLE/

Never download the 4.3 ISO file, that's 4.3-RELEASE.

Do not download anything from packages directory. If you want to run X 4.10, do not waste time to download XF86336 directory and its contents as well. You can install that from the ports collection.

This starts getting a bit off topic here, so go to http://bsdvault.net should you have further questions regarding to any *BSDs.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo