1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Generating Wordlist Problem

Hey everybody,

i've got the following problem and would really appreciate if you could give me a hint how to solve it.

I have very important data stored in a Mac OS X encrypted disk image, but i forgot the password. Please don't tell that this was stupid, i were punished enough already.

So the task is now to recover this password.

I found a tool, that is able to automatically try a wordlist out of a text file. It can try about 120 words/ minute, which is a really low number, i know.

There is one good thing though. I remember a lot of the password, but not everything, so that i thought i could work with placeholders.

I found a tool called Crunch on Sourceforge that claims to do exactly that, but i did not have a lot of luck yet.

The password looks something like this: 4*.****__**!tv_**?

So the * stand for letters, which i probably know, but i do not know whether they are spelled Upper or lower case.

One Problem more is that all those * Letters are different, so i would need 9 different placeholders. Crunch just offers 1 more or less. I am not a coder or anything near that, but i dived into the C Code and changed the four Placeholders the programmer declared in the beginning to a upper case and a lowercase letter, so the key set only consists out of 2 letters now.

The problem is that i still have just 4 different ones.

Hope you did understand what i mean.

Do you have any other idea how to do that or any program, which is able to do that?

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you guys!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You can write a pretty short script in pretty much any language to do that, but C is not a good language for a non-programmer to jump into and try to write a simple script of any kind.

For example with PHP:
    PHP Code:
    <?php

$passwords 
    = array(4);

function 
    add($set) {
      global 
    $passwords;

$new_passwords = array();
      for(
    $i 0$i strlen($set); $i++) {
        foreach(
    $passwords as $password) {

$new_passwords[] = $password $set[$i];
        }
      }

$passwords $new_passwords;
    }

add('ABC');
    add('.');
    add('123');
    add('AB');

echo 
    "<pre>";
    echo 
    implode("\n"$passwords);
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo