1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

How do you know if you are being hacked?

Does your mouse pointer playing funny or uncontrollable on the screen, the adsl connection cutting out are signs that you have been hacked or being hacked?

What are the signs and what are the common ways hackers hack you?

Do they send you an email with a supposed pdf, excell sheet, etc?
  3. It's only wrong if you're caught....
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

If its done right, you'll never know.

Having said that; if your mouse pointer is getting screwed with, one of your friends probably sent you a trojan or something and is just screwing with you, because no-one else would really care enough to bother.

And the most common way of being compromised is either by downloading and running an untrusted executable, or being hit by a browser exploit, either because you haven't patched your browser or because it was a 0day.

You could try running a virus scanner, but those are fallible, and won't give you anything definitive (virus scanners are plagued by false positives and false negatives)

There's really no definitive advice anyone could give you; there is just so much to cover, its not really worth doing. If you think you've been hacked, then backup all your data (data, not programs), reinstall your OS, restore your data and reinstall all your programs (preferably from CD, anything you've downloaded could have been infected with malware).

And then again, it could just be your mouse/modem being dodgy, *shrug*
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do firewall and anti-hack protection really works. Isnt there anyway of monitoring if someone else is hacked into your system?

When you hack a computer, what do you see? How does it work? How does the hacker play around with my mouse pointer?

Also what do you mean by this?
    hit by a browser exploit, either because you haven't patched your browser or because it was a 0day
    Last edited by rePete; August 12th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
  7. It's only wrong if you're caught....

Originally Posted by rePete
    Do firewall and anti-hack protection really works. Isnt there anyway of monitoring if someone else is hacked into your system?
    Firewalls do help, since they work by attempting to stop attackers connecting to services running on your computer. I have no idea what you mean by "anti-hack protection" though.

When you hack a computer, what do you see? How does it work? How does the hacker play around with my mouse pointer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploit...er_security%29
  9. They're coming to take me away

Firewalls help cut down on people trying to hack, although, if someone is good enough, and want to hack into your machine, then they will be able to get around a firewall. There's nothing that will prevent someone from hacking into your machine... there are ways to deter attempts though. However, unless you're someone with a wealth of useful information on your computer or at your business, noone is really going to bother.

As for what you see when someone hacks in.... generally speaking, nothing. A true "hacker" will leave no evidence of them having been there. At least no evidence for you to see. As mentioned, trojans help allow others to log into your machine and mess around, but they are not hackers. A hacker doesn't need a trojan to log into your machine.

However, if you feel that you have been compromised, try scanning with Trojan Hunter or a variety of other software applications out there. Although, if you're that concerned, then reinstall as suggested.

As for the pdf comment.... a general rule of thumb, don't open a file that you have no idea what it was sent for. There are a ton of people out there that send out viruses/trojans as email attachments for unsuspecting users to open, which then installs a program.

Trojans allow backdoors to open for users to log into your machine. They can even be sent an email or an instant message everytime you log on, so that they can log into your machine.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Maybe i have been hacked. I have just noticed that my mouse only plays funny when I am connected on the network for my Internet. When I go to my network ocnnections and turn of my LAN ethernet network. My mouse works normal, but when I put my LAN back on to connect to the internet, it be like a few minutes later my mouse would be unpredictable. Like it would go opposite directions or it would feel resistant when moving.

Is it possible that a trojan has been installed on your pc and can never be removed by any anti software?
  13. Crypto-Con
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Run an antispyware program and a free antivirus program on your system, with the LAN enabled. See if they turn anything up.
    - "Cryptographically secure linear feedback shift register based stream ciphers" -- a phrase that'll get any party started.
    - Why know the ordinary when you can understand the extraordinary?
    - Sponsor my caffeine addiction! (36.70 USD received so far -- Latest donor: Mark Foxvog.
    )
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Also you might check the Device Manager when the LAN is enabled for port or other conflict...

to check your system for vulnerabilities go to:

http://www.grc.com/

click on "Shields UP"...scroll down to "Shields Up" (again) click the "Proceed" button then click "All Service Ports"

this will give you a vulnerability report..

if you are behind a decent firewall like this one:

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

you should be invisible to anyone on the internet...

if you get any red squares on the Shields up port test...install the firewall and they should come up all green (Stealth)
  17. Not much of a contributor

It's like a remote desktop connection program. Maybe someone is playing with your mouse? Have you installed a software lately? Im talking about untrusted software from various sources.

One possibility is that your PC might be you're infected with a trojan so you need to run a full system scan maybe using AVG Free Edition.

I also want to take a look at your startup programs. What are the programs running? Well, it could be hidden of course. Hit run and go to msconfig. Try looking for softwares that you are not familiar of. If you dont mind you can post a screenie. It could be a server-client program backdoor application.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo