1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A little help with one time pad

Hi,

I have been really struggling with one time pad.

I am trying to encrypt the message: THE MEETING IS AT TREFFOREST STATION AT NINE OCLOCK ON TUESDAY. TELL NO ONE.

using a stream cipher, using a pseudorandom sequence , and one-time pad.

Am i right in thinking i first need to use the linear feedback shift register to get a pseduo random sequence? I am quite unsure on the one time pad, the part where i actually generate the key. Can anybody offer any advice?

Kind reagrds
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. You seem to have a number of similar concepts jumbled together.

Many stream ciphers operate by generating a pseudo-random sequence (from a key) which is then combined with the plaintext message (often using the XOR operation) to produce the ciphertext.

A one-time pad is a just random sequence that you can use to encipher text just like the pseudo-random sequence produced by a stream cipher. No key is involved (or you might say the entire sequence is itself the key).

A linear feedback shift register can also produce a pseudo-random sequence, though you would not use one for cryptography.
    sub{*{$::{$_}}{CODE}==$_[0]&& print for(%:: )}->(\&Meh);
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You can use whatever method you like to create the OTP.
    In the best case, it's made of a natural random number source such as decaying atoms ...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo