1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Norton's Internet Security

I've just received the following e-mail:
    "One of our customers was checking our banner systems on our website [ http://www.orbusinc.com ] and
    noticed the following:

With Norton's Internet Security enabled - it removes all advertisements
    including advertising banners. Since our banner systems are probably stored
    in a folder titled banners, it would not show him the pictures - as they
    would have been catagorized as advertisement banners by the Norton's filter."
    The way the site is structured is I have the root directory that includes top level pages (like home, contact etc) and the images directory for those pages. Then there is a sub-directory for every product category that also has its own images directory. Since it is not mentioned what happes with other categories I am not sure how to go about fixing this thing.
    The banner products are indeed stored in a folder named "banners".
    So my question is: what are the criteria used by Norton's Internet Security to decide wether to display stuff. Is it the name of the folder or the fact that it is all in sub folders?

Valeria
    Goals are dreams with deadlines
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

uh oh, what you are trying to do requires quite some more than only the answers to your questions regarding norton.
    it does not really matter what norton internet security does since there is 100 other programs doing the same thing.

most keep a database (auto-updated from the web) with any hosts they find that provide ads. then they use some heuristic to additionally determine which urls to filter.

best solution: install a php script on the client´s host (/xyz.php) that automatically reads the file from your server and outputs it. since it is on the same server that the page is on, it is unlikely to be recognized by ad-remover-programs.

2. best: use apache url-rewriting so if anyone requests a specific file (call it .js or .txt or whatever to make it look unsuspicious) from your host he´ll get the next available ad. and make the client-side to request a random page from your host (this works around the databases).

there is probably 100 more ways, but it will always be kinda "war" between advertisers and ad-haters... one day the one wins, the other day the other...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo