1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posted yesterday and cannot find my post today!!

http :// forums.devshed.com/security-and-cryptography-17/visicrypt-strong-symmetric-encription-spreadsheet-for-emails- 929976.html

Could anybody find it for me, or explain why it was deleted? The above link was cut and pasted from this forum.

I wrote a strong email encryption program in Excel and am trying to start a dialogue about it. I thought this was what this forum was all about. It said so at the top of the page:

"Help Wanted! Looking for opinionated, creative, and intelligent forum members (does that describe you?) to help bring the Shed into the 21st Century. Make a difference and join the conversation! Vote, post, and comment on ideas for the upgrade/improvements to the sites! Visit our open discussion board here."

Please do disturb!
    Not disturbed enough yet.

danleonida-at-yahoo-dot-com
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I didn't remove your post, but posting threads promoting specific pieces of software is prohibited, and my guess is that your original post crossed that line by containing instructions specifically telling people how to find your program. Rather than trying to start a dialog about a specific program, start one discussing your methods and algorithms instead.

That message from the top of the page is asking for people to provide feature requests for updates to the forums, it's not actually all that relevant to this situation.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

VisiCrypt

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I didn't remove your post, but posting threads promoting specific pieces of software is prohibited, and my guess is that your original post crossed that line by containing instructions specifically telling people how to find your program. Rather than trying to start a dialog about a specific program, start one discussing your methods and algorithms instead.
    I am NOT promoting a commercial product! I posted a link to s/w I developed and released in the public domain. …not really much different than attaching the subject of the discussion so that people will know what they are discussing!!! The link was not to a website! It was to my cloud storage account!

I have to start a dialogue about a “specific program” simply because this is all I got and/or am interested in discussing at this point in time! The subject of cryptography, in general, is vast and covered by experts way better than I could do it!

The “algorithm” is not much more than the XOR of the plaintext with a long, very long, key. Up to 32,000 bytes, to be more precise! That’s unbreakable by brute force! The s/w is a spreadsheet with NO macros. Everything is visible and easily verifiable by an… accountant!

It is distributed in dot-csv format therefore is unbuggable, easy to document, checksum and/or CRC on a record by record basis!!

The up to 32,000 byte keys are generated by another spreadsheet by XOR’ing psudorandom numbers with say, a dot-png file to hide the pseudorandom number sequence. Alice/Bob meet face to face at MacDonald’s and generate a few thousands such keys saved on two identical memory sticks. Each key is for one time use only! After use it does NOT get deleted. It gets zeroed out so, hopefully, could not be recovered from the inspection of disk blocks marked “available”

Well… That’s what I want to talk about and, frankly speaking, I don’t see anything wrong with it!

My posts on this and other forums about VisiCrypt are done at great, personal risks to myself! I hope you realize that. Governments don’t like this kind of things and the “undocumented features” I have acquired during the development are also available for public view.

Dan Leonida
    Vancouver, B.C., Canada
    Last edited by danleonida; September 4th, 2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add word

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo