1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need a pro in the tampa metro

my kid has installed some encryption programs and I want to see what he is hiding..Been to 3 local shops with 0 success.
  3. No Profile Picture

Could you inform us of what software he is using. Presuming he is using TrueCrypt there is tool written by the Polish rootkit-expert Joanna Rutkowska that will allow you to retrieve the password. The tool can be used from an USB stick and needs about 1 minute to retrieve the password.

For this you will need to have access to his computer at the moment it is turned on.

The tool is called 'Evil Maid'.

BRY-4E.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

"Evil Maid" only works if the system has full-disk encryption installed, and then assumes that he hasn't used any containers with a different key.

If he has chosen a very good password, your only option is to confiscate the computer and ground him indefinitely until he gives up the key.

Best regards,
    AstroTux.
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AstroTux
    "Evil Maid" only works if the system has full-disk encryption installed, and then assumes that he hasn't used any containers with a different key.

If he has chosen a very good password, your only option is to confiscate the computer and ground him indefinitely until he gives up the key.

Best regards,
    AstroTux.
    My apologies, I did not know that. However I think most children that want to act smart will not use any containers with a different key. At least it would be worth a shot.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo