Thread: smoothwall

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

smoothwall

I'm looking for a firewall. i came across smoothwall and want to know if it realy is as secure as they(makers of smoothwall) claim.
    Can it be used as a business firewall/router or is it only safe enough for a home network?

(I'm a windows guy, so i don't understand alot of the linux world.)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Slacker

I can't give any valuble info on this, but I can tell you that we use BorderWare's firewall where I work and that is suitable to do what you ask.

/Fjodor
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Well, the good thing about smoothwall is that it is freeware. and it has all the features. it is a proxy, a firewall, a router, a apache server and it tells you when there are availeble uploads. it is very easy to install and doesn't need a keyboard or mouse.

hope somebody knows something about the security of it .
  7. No Profile Picture

keep doing research. just remember that every product is going to promise you that it's super-d-dooper secure. if you're really concerned with your network security, review your whole network situation first and look for inherent flaws before assuming that a firewall will "make it better". what i mean by inherent flaws, take notice to that fact that "hey, everyones email password is their username" or "i didnt know there was an ftp server running on our billing machine". cause while you may have a super-d-dooper firewall, your network security is only as strong as it's weakest link.

p.s. - both examples ive seen in real life businesses.

mrGarretson

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo