1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

SSL on multiple sites?

Hello All, happy new year.

New to SSL, so I've been looking into it as we need a certificate on our website.

[Background]
    Our site is created using Joolma, with these files being held on 'company A's server'. In addition to joomla, the login details for all users' are held on another companies server.

From what i can gather - and please correct me if im wrong - I'll need to buy an SSL certificate and save it to the server where sensitive information is held - which i assume is where the login stuff is held - update the .htaccess file for joomla and then make the required changes within the 'global config' area in joomla.

[Questions]
    The query relates to issue of there being two different companies looking after two different sections of the site.

1. Is it possible to have one SSL certificate - the same one - on both servers?
    2. what happens in terms of communication between the two servers once the SSL certificates are on both servers?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

King regards
    MG.
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by mind_grapes
    1. Is it possible to have one SSL certificate - the same one - on both servers?
    No. The certificate is tied to a specific location and you can't have to separate machines in the same place. You can have two websites at the same place, though, but it wasn't until "recently" when you could make them both secure.

Originally Posted by mind_grapes
    2. what happens in terms of communication between the two servers once the SSL certificates are on both servers?
    ...The usual SSL stuff?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm looking further into it - as im new - but this is great.

Regards
    MG

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo