Thread: IP banning

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question IP banning

Greets, all.

A friend just installed a webboard system for me at the free webspace host It uses PHP and MySQL (it's a system called AcmlmBoard, which you may or may not have heard of) to run. MultiMania assigns users a dynamic IP address, the last sector of which is the dynamic one. This makes it rather hard to ban people using the AcmlmBoard's IP-ban feature, as everyone appears to have a similar IP.

Does anyone know how I can work around this? The friend setting up the board is stumped, altho he says that if we can somehow ban IPs from accessing the *server* itself (as opposed to accessing the *webboard* which is what the board's own IP ban does) that might work. I personally don't know enough about PHP or MySQL or server technical stuff, myself, to come up with anything.

Please help! ^_^
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

You can try the .htaccess way if you are allowed to use it. It depends on the server setup, you may place this .htaccess to so the banned users can still access other parts of your site.
    Here is the content of that .htaccess:

<Limit GET POST>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    deny from # you can put multiple IPs (a single whitespace-delimited) on the same line

Say your script accepts POST method, you can tighter that to <Limit POST> so those users still have READ access to your board.
    You are on your own to figure out how to write such a script to modify the deny from lines.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo