Thread: Ssl

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ssl

I am uploading a PHP MySQL site to my webhost. This uses a shared certificate. The webhost admin has asked me to put any files that need an SSL connection in a separate folder so they can "move" them to the secure server.

Is this standard practice??

My site has hundreds of files, many of which will need a secure connection for certain processes, but to separate them from the rest of my files would be a total nightmare!!!

Have i been had?

My understanding was that SSL is a connection, not a location..??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
  3. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Who is your host? In most cases the only thing that needs to be done to enable the SSL is ŧ https instead of ŧ http for your links - but, thats in most cases.

There are some hosts that do require the files to be in a seperate folder and then called as ŧ secure.yourdomain.com/file.php. So, to answer your original question 'is it normal' - no, but in some cases is needed.
    ~ Joe Penn
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

it is normal to use a special folder (or even a special ftp account) for SSL. but itīs not normal that they move the files there.

maybe they didnīt manage to setup SSL correctly and this is their workaround... also maybe they consider this "more secure". (haha)
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by jpenn
    Who is your host? In most cases the only thing that needs to be done to enable the SSL is ŧ https instead of ŧ http for your links -
    Yeah... that is how my files are set up.... (php).

Well.... i am waiting for a reply from them... i just asked them why.
    I can just see months of work if i have to change every ssl reference in my files..... I'll give them the benefit of the doubt before I'll name them.
  9. No Profile Picture

Well, I wrote to my provider asking why these files have to be moved.... they replied:

"Your files need to be moved/copied because SSL is not enabled on the
    server you are currently hosted on. SSL is enabled with a shared SSL
    certificate on another server. To make your site work with SSL on the same
    server you would need to purchase your own dedicated SSL certificate that
    we'd install for your site."

The page where i signed up for the account was worded thus:

"general features
    500 MB server space
    4 GB monthly transfers
    Linux or NT server
    Remote control via web
    .htaccess protection (Linux)

email features
    75 POP boxes
    Unlimited email aliases
    Unlimited email destinations
    IMail
    Unlimited auto responders

metrics
    Urchin 4 site statistics

web development
    Own CGI-BIN (Linux)
    FrontPage extensions (NT)
    SSL facilities
    Allaire Cold Fusion support (NT)

server side languages
    Perl support (Linux)
    PHP4 support (Linux)
    ASP support (NT)

databases
    MYSQL database support (Linux)
    Access database support (NT)

advanced
    Web forwarding
    MX forwarding

quality of service
    24/7 server monitoring
    UPS power backup
    Daily backups"

No mention of a separate server for the SSL. This is just a total pain. Any more feedback from experienced people would be greatly appreciated..... I am on a Linux box for the above btw.

I have "https" for the links that require ssl..... but can see a whole lot of painful work if I have to start actually changing the physical location of some of my files.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

you're on linux. nothign is a hard task there....

for i in /home/www/htdocs/*; do cat "$i"|sed s/www\.yourdomain\.com/www.newdomain.com/g" >/tmp/mytmpfile; cat /tmp/ mytmpfile > "$i"; done
  13. No Profile Picture

Thanks but......I'm sorry.... I do not understand that at all.... where and how it is done, or what it achieves
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

i refered to this:
    but can see a whole lot of painful work if I have to start actually changing the physical location of some of my files.
    the script takes every single file from a folder (/home/www/htdocs/*) and replaces "www.yourdomain.com" with "www.newdomain.com".

i wanted to say: why do you need "painful work" for changing the location of your files? is the structure actually that complicated?
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally posted by M.Hirsch
    i refered to this:

the script takes every single file from a folder (/home/www/htdocs/*) and replaces "www.yourdomain.com" with "www.newdomain.com".

i wanted to say: why do you need "painful work" for changing the location of your files? is the structure actually that complicated?
    Oh... ok.... I do not have that kind of access to the server, and that is not what I need to do.

Yes, the structure is that complicated..... I currently have 336 PHP files in an ordered directory structure. There are 854 calls to a connection FUNCTION which chooses between HTTP or HTTPS in 137 of these files.

My host wants me to place anything that requires SSL in a separate folder in my root directory so that *they* can move them to an entirely different server. (I expect I will not have direct access to them anymore which will interfere with further development)

I cannot comprehend the need for this at all. To me it is just a secure connection .... all I need is the server path for HTTPS..... my files can stay exactly where they now reside.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The problem actually is that a SSL certificate is bound to one domain. You canīt just create a certificate, you have to buy it from one of the companies whose root-certificate comes pre-installed with all the common browsers or one of their resellers.
    yes, you can just setup any certificate, but the users will be told that it is faked and asked if they still want to enter your site.
    certificates usually have to be renewed yearly, so this costs some $100 per year.
    That probably is why you donīt have your own SSL server.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo