1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Securing files on Win 2K

Hello,

I need to figure out a solution to securely transfer files and a database with confidential information off hosted site (iis based) to my local computer.

The problem is that I only have FTP available and it is not secure ftp. what is the best way to securely download and upload this information?

Also, my host said that possibly my files could be exposed to other users on the server. Is there any way to encrypt the data with php on a win2k server.

thanks.
  3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you want to encrypt information i would look into GPG. Its a free implementation of PGP security. As the information comes into the server from the website you can encrypt it using your public key and GPG's command line tool. On your PC you will have your private key and that will be the only way you can decrypt it. This will solve the FTP problem too since anyone that does intercept it cant do anything with it.

GPG Website: http://www.gnupg.org/
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

thanks very much for the info. i will research it.

can it be used without installing software on the server? i am remotely hosted and unable to install applications.
  7. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

just copy the files up there with ftp, it doesnt need installation.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo