1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cookies and IE...

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but as it's kinda related to security and non of the other catagories here it is...

My website uses a very simple cookie to only display the splash screen that the website owners insisted on (yes I know they're annoying) once every 14 days or if the splash screen has been changed.

However checking it out today (from work ) on the server I have a little warning icon in IE which once opened says that it cannot find a privacy policy for the website so it doesn't know how to handle the cookies... will this be a major problem or is it just the way my work have set up Internet explorers privacy settings.

If its a simple matter of setting up something on the server to state that no personal information is stored and it's just a measure to remove the annoyance of a splash screen every time they visit then I'd like to know if anyone knows how to do that...

Thanks in advance,

-D
  3. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The main reason that would appear is if the cookie is being set by a server which is different to the domain name of the page requested. IE, if i have a site (eg. www.mydomain.com) using frames with an advert in one from. Now the advert frame has a page from my made up company NetAdsNow, address of www.netadsnow.fake/advert.html. Now say if that page tries to set a cookie the browser will block it since its from netadsnow.fake and not from mydomain.com. Are you doing anything like that at all?
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yes at the moment the domain is using masking via frames to point to the webspace. However I was just about to change the dns records to point to the IP of the server instead, so would this rectify the problem? Or do I have to set up a P3P privacy profile too?
  7. Second highest poster :p
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If the cookie comes from the same domain name as the rest of the site you wont have any issues. Until that happens you will have problems.
    - Andreas Koepke

Koepke Photography

9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I see, ok then thanks for all your help.

-D

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo