Thread: Ie

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Ie

Reeeel off topic, but there's no info on this one out there (a least I can't find it!!):

Anyhow, my Windows XP (yea yea, "get FreeBSD", i know) got infested with this nasty -- "thingie" : I don't know if it's a virus, worm, spyware, adware or what, but the symptoms are these: It locks my IE so, that I can't open the "internet-settings", from the Tools-menu; It says something like this

"This action has been cancelled due to restrictions on your computer. Please contact you administrator".

I can access them from control panel, but the homepage-settings are locked (gray).

Also, I can't download anything, because it says something like this every time:

"You don't have rights to proceed"
    or sth,

"Error 403"

, anyway. This is really annoying, 'cause now I can't even get Opera! Sucks!

I ran Norton Antivirus 2003 and Spybot S&D, but they didn't find anything. I read a few hours after the infestation, that you shouldn't run as administrator (now you tell me! :/ ), because some worms get all the rights.

RAGE!

So what should I do? Get a life? Get FreeBSD/Debian? Get a real answer?

Last edited by Fosco Sandybank; June 19th, 2003 at 06:12 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture

>format c:/q
    Install the OS again. Basically I do that every two weeks or so, it really helps even if there isn't anything wrong (though that's really rare).
  5. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Which version of XP is this that you're using? Are you logged in with Administrative rights? or are you logging in with an account that maybe has restricted rights?
  7. No Profile Picture

Angry

Actually, the download problem solved itself (suddenly it let me download the friggin' Opera).

BUT. There is still the problem with the home page (not that it matters since I use Opera; still a mystery, what's behind this)

I WAS using Admin-account, but I switched to restricted account now that - as I referred in the first thread of this post - I read the article about how you shouldn't go about as root. Anyway, the problem came outside, since there was no problem before.

Let me be more precise about the problem: The symptoms are EXACTLY same as _IF_ you go to certain adult sites (I didn't). The homepage was set to go.to/sex or something and could not be changed, because the Internet-settings were locked. I switched the homepage back to the original with Spybot S&D, but was not able to get rid of the restriction.

I've still not been able to remove the restriction, but don't worry, comrades, who wants to use IE anyway? Not me, anyway, now that I've got Opera.

BTW, if you can reccommed an alternative to Outlook Express (like Opera is to IE) - a really good one, please do! IncrediMail is a bit too.. ehh.. unprofessional to me.
  9. mod_dev_shed
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I read the article about how you shouldn't go about as root.
    Was this article related to Windows? I know you shouldn't run around a *nix machine as root, but I haven't heard that you shouldn't run around a Windows box as an Administrator. How else are you going to get anything done on Windows?
    BTW, if you can reccommed an alternative to Outlook Express (like Opera is to IE) - a really good one, please do! IncrediMail is a bit too.. ehh.. unprofessional to me.
    I use Mozilla, but I also browser with Mozilla too. Doesn't Opera have a mail client, I can't remember.
  11. No Profile Picture

DONT READ THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME, SKIP TO THE BOTTOM

What can I say.. the thing is totally inverted than I told you earlier: I could remove the restrictions on IE, but now I can't download with Opera either. I also can't find the reason to that.

For you with the same problem: go to winguides.com! They've got all of the needed stuff. Just search with keyword "Internet Explorer Restrictions". It helped me. Basically just alter a few binary values of certain registry keys.

But. The download thingie: I can't believe it - Opera ain't working. So it's not an IE-specific-thing, rather than a total download restriction..

It says with IE "You don't have sufficient rights (freely translated from finnish)" and in Opera "This object has been blocked"

------------------------------

... wHOOOPS!

Guess what, it was my ZoneAlarm Pro blocking the downloads!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo