1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to use an HMAC?

i am using a cryptographic library in php (http://phpseclib.sourceforge.net/).

i am adding a new pair of methods to its AES class.
    those methods implement HMAC generation/verification.
    encryption method adds the hmac string to the ciphertext.
    decryption method separates the hmac and verifies it.

i have several questions.

1) is this general formula correct for the encryption method:

Code:
    ciphertext=aes_encr(key, plaintext)
    final_result=hmac(key, ciphertext)||ciphertext
    note: || means concatenation.

2) it is better the hmac be appended or prepended to the cipher text and why (or maybe there is no deference?).

3) i can use a variety of hash algorithms for hmac:
    md2, md5, md5-96, sha1, sha1-96, sha256, sha384, and sha512

but i dont want to degrade the performance and increase the output length unnecessarily. if it is relevant, i use AES 128 bits; i am not sure if there must be a correlation between the encryption key length and the hmac algorithm used.

i know that the md5 and sha1 hash algorithms have known weaknesses and should no longer be used, but wikipedia article about HMAC says:
    HMACs are substantially less affected by collisions than their underlying hashing algorithms alone.[5] [6] .[7] Therefore, HMAC-MD5 does not suffer from the same weaknesses that have been found in MD5.
    so can i use hmac-md5 safely?
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi,
    For question 2, I'm trying to think about it, but I don't see why the place of the MAC should matter. Indeed, you can let any eavedropper guess where is your MAC and where is your ciphertext inside final_result, if your MAC and ciphertext are safe. It can be a public information, so whether the MAC is behind the ciphertext or not doesn't seem to be an issue for me.
    Also, I'd like to add to your question :
    4) Is it safe to use the same key for the symetric cipher (aes_encr) and the HMAC (as you do) ? I know it's not when using CBC-MAC, but I wonder if it's also the case for HMAC.
  5. No Profile Picture

Well i am not sure about this but you can take mac support for better information such as any Mac related issue.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo