Thread: Decrypt file.

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Decrypt file.

Hello!

I wonder if anyone could help me with this task, here's the task.

I've got a PDF-file which is encrypted with AES-128 and with a 10 character long password.
    I know that the content of the file is just one line with the text "Answer code xxxx", were xxxx is a unique code for that file.

So the task is to get this code. Does anyone have some tips on how I can decrypt the file or get the password for it?
    Guess that brute force is not an option.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are no known known-plaintext attacks against AES, so knowing the contents of the file does nothing to help you recover the key. There are no known attacks of any other type either, so no one is really going to be able to help you; the only attack you could run is brute force.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ah, wonder how my teacher want us to solve it. Brute Forcing would take around 100 years or something.
    He want us to find some sort of backdoor or weak spots in the program or encryption. To search if someone else have published any solution to decrypt this type of file.
    Well, I will search around some more. Thanks for the help!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo