1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Protocol and LAN question

When I'm logging into a Windows machine from my Mac to access the HDD, what protocol is that using and is it decrypted? I've also got a problem with my wireless and wired connection at home, it seems to be that I cannot access or see the packets from the wireless connected devices with Wireshark for example when on a wired connection. If someone has experience with this, please help me out here since I'm trying to lock and tighten my LAN down since there are a lot of people connected to it and I wouldn't want anyone to see my or someone else's password.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

When I'm logging into a Windows machine from my Mac to access the HDD, what protocol is that using and is it decrypted?
    If you're using standard windows file sharing then it's SMB. If I understand correctly, SMB did not support encryption until Windows 8, but I believe in addition to using Windows 8, encryption must be enabled on the file share in some way. I do not know if the Mac implementation supports encryption. So my guess is that in your case it is not encrypted.

I've also got a problem with my wireless and wired connection at home, it seems to be that I cannot access or see the packets from the wireless connected devices with Wireshark for example when on a wired connection.
    Most, if not all, routers do not broadcast packets from wireless devices to the wired ports unless the packet is addressed to a MAC address connected to one of the wired ports (similar to the way a switch works).
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    If you're using standard windows file sharing then it's SMB. If I understand correctly, SMB did not support encryption until Windows 8, but I believe in addition to using Windows 8, encryption must be enabled on the file share in some way. I do not know if the Mac implementation supports encryption. So my guess is that in your case it is not encrypted.

Most, if not all, routers do not broadcast packets from wireless devices to the wired ports unless the packet is addressed to a MAC address connected to one of the wired ports (similar to the way a switch works).
    I'm using Windows 8 and the latest Mac OS X, so when I enter the password of the admin on the Mac to access the Windows 8 remotely. It will send that password with the SMB protocol since that's the only thing I worry about.

About the wireless stuff, so when I have a wired connection. I cannot access laptops with a wireless connection?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

About the wireless stuff, so when I have a wired connection. I cannot access laptops with a wireless connection?
    You can access them.

What you probably can't do, depending on your router, is use a wired device to read packets sent between two other devices on the network. This is because the router will generally not relay the packet to a particular wired port if the packet is not addressed to the device connected to that port.

This contrasts with a device connected wirelessly to the router, which will be able to see all traffic sent to or from any other wireless devices. Whether or not that traffic can be decrypted and read by the device that sees it depends on the type of encryption used by the router.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo