1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is this a real secuirty concern?

Hello, I don't have a deep understanding of cryptography as I only use it in web development, but had a bit of a brain teaser that I got curious about. I've read that the main internet cable that comes in from the ocean gets split, and one of the splits goes straight into the NSA box that sifts through the data for anything requiring further analysis. I assume it looks for things like natural language indicators in order to try and flag encrypted messages where they might otherwise be out of place, in the body of an email for example. Of course, it can't store all the internet's data, so it has to make this decision real-time. I hope I'm not completely off-the-wall with this understanding so far.

Anyway, I got curious, that if you were to take a message, encrypt it, and say, take the encrypted message, and encrypt that using some deterministic natural language engine to get a automated looking spam email that contains grammatically correct but non-sensical text which can be decrypted back to get the original encrypted message, could this then pose a security challenge to the real-time data sifters? I mean I think I read somewhere that the majority of internet traffic is spam email, and I assume the NSA would probably try and treat it as junk the same way we do.
    Last edited by requinix; February 14th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You find some information about a potential way of hiding secrets in email over here
    spammimic - explanation
  5. No Profile Picture

Huh, learn something new everyday. Apparently this falls under something called steganography. That particular service looks a bit too repetitive and programmatic to truly "disappear" off the radar, but still interesting that someone attempted it.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo