1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Smile What is Ad hoc Testing??

Hi Friends,

While browsing about Software Testing I came across the term “Ad hoc Testing” and I wanna know the actual meaning of it and its advantages and disadvantages. Apart from Ad hoc testing how many types of testing are there and what is the difference between them and Ad hoc Testing? Please provide the details with link.

Have a great day!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Orimark Technologies - Leading Software Testing Company in India
  3. I <3 ASCII
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I googled "Ad Hoc" just to make sure my answer was correct before I gave it to you. The wiki page for ad hoc is rather fascinating, but it doesn't really answer your question, it does however contain the following useful piece:
    (Ad Hoc) generally signifies a solution designed for a specific problem or task, non-generalizable, and not intended to be able to be adapted to other purposes
    Ad Hoc Testing is pretty much a testing plan for your specific application. The most common way is to have a user just use the program, but it can also involve some automated processes, or a standalone program that interfaces with yours.

Hope this helps.

-MBirchmeier
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Re

Ad hoc testing is a commonly used term for software testing performed without planning and documentation (but can be applied to early scientific experimental studies).

The tests are intended to be run only once, unless a defect is discovered. Ad hoc testing is the least formal test method. As such, it has been criticized because it is not structured and hence defects found using this method may be harder to reproduce (since there are no written test cases). However, the strength of ad hoc testing is that important defects can be found quickly.

It is performed by improvisation: the tester seeks to find bugs by any means that seem appropriate. Ad hoc testing can be seen as a light version of error guessing, which itself is a light version of exploratory testing

Comments on this post

• Scorpions4ever disagrees : Lookee, someone has learned to quote wikipedia without attribution.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo