1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is Algorithms In C A Good Book For A Beginner?

Hi!!
    I have to buy a book on algorithms for my computer course studies. Some friends suggested that I should buy Algorithms In C by Robert Sedgwick (I hope I have spelt it right). Some say its too complex for a beginner and there are a number of code errors in the book. While some others say that itís an excellent book. I browsed through the reviews of the book on amazon.com and again came across mixed reviews. I tried reading the book and find it complex but still some friends have advised me to go ahead and buy it as it is an excellent book for algorithms in C and later as I grasp the nuances of programming I would find the book to be an invaluable resource. I am a beginner. Could some one please tell me is it worth buying or should I buy some other book on C algorithms that is a little easier to understand? If so, which book should I go for? Please advice.
  3. No Profile Picture

All the "Algorithms in ________" books are fairly decent books. Just pick the one thats in the language you are most familiar with.

I used the Algorithms in Java book for my Data Structures class and was pleased with the book.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Your Friend

Sedgewick's book is one of the classics, but I recommend the following:

1. Introduction to Algorithms - by Cormen, et al. (four authors, commonly referred to as the "CLRS" book, after its authors). This is the best book to start with, in my opinion. It does not include any particular language's source code; you can code the algorithms quite easily in any language the way they are explained.

2. The Algorithm Design Manual - by Steve Skiena. This is an ideal second book, in my opinion.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo