1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Your biggest installation issues

Hi all,
    What are the most common (or biggest) problems you had with your product's installer from a development point of view?

I've been working over a decade in installation development, and as part of my studying of installation design, I am collecting whatever people could share about their experience in this field. As for myself, I think one of the most frustrating things is that installation issues are "suddenly" discovered too late in the dev cycle.

I'd appreciate if you could share you thougts.
    thanks,
    Andy.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

As a guide, you may want to look for existing open source installers, go to their forums, and open this discussion there.

Furthermore, don't just ask for a list of thoughts. There are plenty of blog posts, discussions, and information on what kind of issues people face with installers. Experience is also a good source of information. The expectation is that if you're tackling installation issues, and you are capable of doing so, you already are immersed in the field enough to have experience and/or have read and know where to read about problems.

It's a non answer to your question, but unless your post is more than a "what problems do you have with installers", you won't get relevant answers. You'll get whines about people not installing a particular product, but not a real technical discussion.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Oler1s,
    You may be right, depending on the type of responses. Note I was referring to installation development - not installation usage.

From my experience, design may have an impact to some common problems, which is the reason I posted here, as I would like to raise some technical discussion on this.
    Of course, if people's responses evolve the dialog to other areas, I would be happy to explore it in other forums as well.

By the way, is there an installation development forum on Dev Shed?

thanks.
    Andy
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Note I was referring to installation development - not installation usage.
    Yes, I know that. And along with the open source installers, you'll find installer developers... Also, the point of developing an installer is that it is to be used, right? If you want to properly discuss a solution, you must also involve discussions of the motivating problem.

I'll add in some thoughts later on, but Devshed doesn't have a dedicated installer development subforum, and really, the experts are going to be hanging around the NSIS, Wix, etc. forums anyway.
    When you ask a question, be prepared to tell us: what have you tried? If you think you don't need to try anything, we will never be interested in helping you. If you agree with the link, and you refuse to answer that question, you are being a hypocrite.

Need help with broken code? Your question should be like a good bug report: (1) It has the smallest number of steps to reproduce the problem you see (2) It tells us precisely what you expected to see and (3) It tells us what you saw and how it differed from what you expected. We need all three to help you.
    Want better answers? Tell us what you Googled for and what steps you took to answer your own question.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the refs, I'll check NSIS and Wix as well. As I mentioned earlier, I'm working towards practical solutions to some common install dev problems, for which I am collecting experiences from all over the spectrum - dev, design, QA, management, etc.

Thanks for the co-op
    Andy.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo