1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Build Management - release process

Can someone just briefly explain to me the following:

1) The Role of Build Management in the (software) Release Process.

2) The importance of their role in the release process

I would be grateful
  3. Moderator Emeritus
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What do you need the information for? I'd prefer to provide an answer specific to your situation, rather than a generalized answer that you could pull off of Wikipedia.

Does your organization use a formalized SDLC process?

Has your organization adopted ITIL?

How many developers does your organization have?

Does your organization have dedicated individuals that perform Quality Assurance & Control (QA/C), Application Architects, Data Architects, Project Managers etc, or are these roles typically performed by the Developers?

Does your organization have a single, definitive repository for source code? Who manages the repository? Who manages each development teams' code streams? What about merges of concurrently developed application code?

Answering these questions will provide a little context, and allow me to shape my recommendations. BTW, I do this kind of thing for a living - ITIL & SDLC process assessment & design for some of the largest companies in the world... so... I can probably help
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  5. No Profile Picture

Does your organization use a formalized SDLC process? Yes

Has your organization adopted ITIL? Nope

How many developers does your organization have? Many Hundred

Does your organization have dedicated individuals that perform Quality Assurance & Control (QA/C), Application Architects, Data Architects, Project Managers etc, or are these roles typically performed by the Developers?

Yes the organisation has dedicated individuals that perform QA, and the various others like build management, defect management, project test managers, environmental delivery

Does your organization have a single, definitive repository for source code? Yes, all source code is stored in a single location for safe keeping.

Each project team manages their own source code.

I need to explain this in a presentation and the information needs to be basic on build management role in software release process.

only a 1 slide presentation so I just need to summarize this topic.

Thank you for your help
  7. Moderator Emeritus

I think your best bet is going to be to read up a little on Release Management, Build Management, Versioning, Concurrent / Parallel development, etc. Once you understand the context of the processes involved, you'll be able to formulate a concise set of talking points for your presentation.

Originally Posted by mulkman
    Does your organization use a formalized SDLC process? Yes

Has your organization adopted ITIL? Nope

How many developers does your organization have? Many Hundred

Yes the organisation has dedicated individuals that perform QA, and the various others like build management, defect management, project test managers, environmental delivery

Does your organization have a single, definitive repository for source code? Yes, all source code is stored in a single location for safe keeping.

Each project team manages their own source code.

I need to explain this in a presentation and the information needs to be basic on build management role in software release process.

only a 1 slide presentation so I just need to summarize this topic.

Thank you for your help
    DrGroove, Devshed Moderator | New to Devshed? Read the User Guide | Connect with me on LinkedIn
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by drgroove
    I think your best bet is going to be to read up a little on Release Management, Build Management, Versioning, Concurrent / Parallel development, etc. Once you understand the context of the processes involved, you'll be able to formulate a concise set of talking points for your presentation.
    Yes will do, But I cant seem to find any information on build management on the internet.

Do you know of any sources books, weblinks
  11. Moderator Emeritus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_build

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo